Ajinomoto Co., Inc. has introduced ISO 14001 with assessment from LRQA Japan, to help integrate its core business with an ongoing contribution to the environment. Successful projects have achieved both environmental load reduction and significant savings in waste and costs.
Formed in 1909, the global group Ajinomoto marked its 100th anniversary in 2009, and has an established management policy to focus its business operations on what it sees as the three challenges for mankind in the 21st Century: global sustainability, food resources and healthy living. Based on this policy, Ajinomoto promotes its activities by integrating its core business with an ongoing contribution to the environment, successively introducing projects that lead to environmental load reduction, together with waste and cost reduction.
In one example, the company’s Logistics Department and Sales Department jointly reduced the volume of returned goods by some 45%, achieving significant savings in waste and cost. Another project, implemented by the Sales Planning Department, aims to reduce the warehouse inventory rate of promotional items in order to reduce the amount of waste and cost of disposal, and, at the same time, to make more efficient use of its warehouse. The driving force behind these activities is the company’s ISO 14001 Environmental Management System which is assessed by LRQA Japan.
- Global environmental activities with the ISO 14001 Environmental
- Business operations that integrate the core business with contribution to the environment
- Significantly reduced waste and cost by reducing returned merchandise
- Visualization of the state of returned goods resulted in the reduction in the rate of returned goods by about 45%.
- Continuously increasing inventory of promotional items triggered the introduction of rules for the efficient production and use of promotional items
- Effective use of the state-of-the-art warehouse with the reduction in the inventory of promotional items
To see the whole article, please refer to the following PDF file: